Sugar can be found in almost all food sources in variable forms. Research has found that the fluctuation of hormones during a woman’s menstrual cycle is one of the causes that lead to women having a stronger desire for sweets as compared to men. Although sugar craving is hard to resist, try swabbing these foods to help you fight off your sugar cravings.
Fruits and Berries
- They contains natural source of sugar, super high fiber content and come along with micronutrients and antioxidants.
- Raspberries, Blueberries, Elderberries, Banana, Pear, Guava
- The bitterness from dark chocolates helps to ease sugar cravings. Dark chocolate contains more than 70% cocoa, high in magnesium and antioxidants like polyphenols. But just like any other chocolate, it contains sugar and fats as well. Remember to take it in moderation!
Nuts and Seeds
- Loaded with soluble fibers which will absorb water and swell up in your gut to make you feel full and prevent cravings.
- Almonds, Pistachios, Flaxseed, Chia seeds
Sugar-Free Chewing Gum
- made with artificial sweeteners; they taste sweet but contain a minimal calorie and with no sugar.
- Although protein is not our main source of energy for our body, it does provide a long-lasting energy as it takes time for our body to break down the protein and absorb them into our body.
- Yogurt, Milk, Cheese and Eggs
- Contains the whole grain kernel; The grain’s kernel is not only dense with fiber, it also contains some protein and micronutrients too.
- Barley, Oats, Quinoa, Wheat and Rye Flours, Brown rice, whole wheat breads
- It is low GI, its skin is abundant with antioxidants, fiber and micronutrients. Don’t leave out the skin, it is the best part!
- High protein and fiber greens also make us feel full for longer hours.
- Kale, Spinach, Mustard Greens, Lotus Roots
- Protein plays a role to balance our blood sugar, which will reduce the risk of a low-blood-sugar-induced binge.
- Meat, poultry, fish
Beans and Lentils
- The structure of plant protein is more complex than animal protein which makes it an amazing food source to keep sugar craves away for a longer period of time.
- Lima beans, Split peas, chickpeas, kidney beans