As Deepavali, the Festival of Lights, approaches, let us embrace the joyous spirit by mastering the creation of masala vada with a health-conscious twist. With a celebration that heralds joy and tradition, it deserves also a snack that prioritizes well-being alongside festivity. Wait no longer, grab your utensils, and let’s get creative!
INGREDIENTS needed for your masala vada –
- 1 cup yellow dhal (split yellow lentils)
- 1/4 stick of cinnamon
- 2 pieces of cloves
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 4-5 pieces of dried chili
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1-inch ginger
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Oil cooking spray
- STEPS to creating your masala vada –
- Prepare dhal by washing it thoroughly under cold water until water runs clear. Move on to soak dhal in water for at least 2 hours, then drain and set aside.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons of soaked dhal and set it aside for added texture in the vada.
- In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients, roasted spices, garlic, and ginger. Blend into a thick and slightly coarse paste.
- Turn the blender into a mixing bowl and add in the finely chopped red onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves, & the 3 tablespoons of soaked dhal from earlier. Mix well with a spoon/spatula to combine all the ingredients.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out a small portion of the mixture and shape it into a ball. Press the ball lightly between your palms to form a vada shape.
- Place a parchment paper or air-fryer liner at the bottom of the air-fryer basket to prevent the vadas from sticking. Set your air-fryer to 180°C.
- Lightly brush or spray the vasa with oil cooking spray on both sides.
- Arrange the vadas in a single layer in the air-fryer basket, making sure there are some spaces between them.
- Air-fry the vadas at 180°C for about 15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time, until they turn golden brown & crispy.
- Once the vadas are cooked and crispy, remove them from the air-fryer. Serva the delicious masala vadas hot with your favourite chutney and loved ones!